Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Moving Back

I actually had to unpack my car.

I can't remember the last time I came home and actually took everything out of my car. Usually I just get what I need when I need it. What's the point of taking it out if I don't actually need it over a break? Well. Now I'm going to need everything because I'm home again. Weird! 

Since it apparently takes a few days for my name to show up in the Starbucks system, I got the week off. It was nice. Crafting, cleaning, unpacking, sleeping... it's been a nice break. And I finished another bit of my junior year! I think there are still four or five spreads to go.. hah. I am so behind.



I really like my tree die cut, if you haven't noticed.

And! Oh, I am beyond excited about these! I finally, finally, finally got to finish my scrabble tile coasters! They turned out exactly how I was hoping they would. It is such a wonderful feeling when you've created something that turns out well.


AND (it's almost the end, I promise) I figured out how exactly I want the phone cozies. I made them a little bigger so they're not so snug, added a pocket on the back, and a flap that buttons inside so an iPod or phone (or whatever else you put inside) doesn't fall out. Excellent.



12 comments:

  1. How did you make your Scrabble coasters? I love them(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meaghan, I cut oak to glue the tiles to, sanded the back side of the tiles, then taped the front of the tiles together (I laid the tape down first, then put the tiles face down onto the tape - this helped keep them tight against each other when gluing). I also cut the tape about an inch longer on each side so after I glued the tiles to the wood I could wrap the tape around to help secure it. I used regular wood glue to glue the tiles down. Like I already said, I wrapped the tape around the edges to secure the glue and then wrapped vertical tape to secure it more. Once they dried I just coated them twice with Tung Oil Finish. There you have it! Hope my quick how-to makes sense.. if you're still confused or think I missed a step, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it!

      Delete
    2. Janelle,
      What other words did you use on the coasters.
      I would love to make these for a wedding gift, but I've hit an idea block :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. those coasters are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used modge podge on my scrabble coasters and they turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you just line them all up and then paint the back with modge podge? I want to make these for me mom for Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Janelle,
    Did you remove the tape after it the tiles had dried, before you put Tung Oil Finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! Tape comes off after it's completely dry, but before the finish goes on so you don't end up with un-finished lines where the tape was :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Planning on making some for my bff :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What all words did you use for your coasters? I love the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun, thanks! Question: any way that a video could be linked showing how to make the scrabble tile coasters?

    Also, am looking for a host/hostess gift for a couple inviting others for a Game Night (we play "30 Seconds" and "Humble" as a tradition)...any ideas?

    ReplyDelete